2022 Calendar Photo Contest
July 21, 2021 - August 20, 2021
The Potawatomi Zoo is looking for your best photos of creatures big and small at the Potawatomi Zoo to be featured in our 2022 members’ calendar and in other print and web-based projects. We look forward to seeing your work, like the Grand Prize Winner from the 2021 Calendar, Ryan Clark’s picture of Masamba, the Zoo’s southern white rhino.
1. Submissions for the 2022 Conservation Calendar may be submitted between July 22 and August 20 via e-mail to PZSphoto@potawatomizoo.org.
2. Please see Submission and Subject Matter Guidelines below.
2. Macro (extremely close up)
3. Photo Manipulation (filters, Photoshop, etc.)
4. Black and White
5. Photographer Under 18
7. Zoo Scenery
8. Zoo Farm
11. Small Mammals (sloth-sized or smaller)
12. Large Mammals (anything larger than a sloth)
1. You may enter one photo per category, for a maximum of 12 photos.
2. Photo resolution must be 300 dpi when viewed at full-page size (11” x 8.5”). Excludes most cell phone pictures.
3. All photos must be submitted via e-mail to PZSphoto@potawatomizoo.org between July 22 and August 20. Due to the number of submissions received, we will not be able to respond to each message or submission.
4. Submissions must include your name, mailing address, daytime phone number, and your age (if under age 18). Those 18 and under must include a parent or guardian’s contact information for permission to enter.
5. Current Potawatomi Zoo staff, consultants, volunteers, and docents and their families may not participate.
6. Landscape/horizontal images are preferred for use in the calendar.
Subject Matter Guidelines
1. Photos must be taken at the Potawatomi Zoo within the 12 months.
2. Photos should not include animals no longer living at the Potawatomi Zoo.
3. Photos should be landscape orientation or be able to be cropped to landscape.
4. You will be asked to provide a signed model release form for any entries that show an identifiable person or persons. A form is available by emailing PZSphoto@gmail.com with subject line “Model Release Form Request.”
5. Do not enter photos that you didn’t take or that infringe upon anyone else’s copyright.
6. We reserve the right to disqualify photos for any reason.
1. Voting for our Conservation Calendar begins August 24 and runs through September 15 at 4 p.m.
2. At least four photos will be submitted to the public in each category for voting on Facebook and Instagram.
3. The finalists’ photographs will be posted in separate albums on the Zoo’s Facebook and in separate posts by category on Instagram.
4. Anyone can vote for their favorite photo by using the “like” feature on each photo on Facebook and commenting the number of their favorite picture on Instagram.
1. The photos with the most votes in each category will be the winners of each category.
2. No one photographer may win more than 2 categories.
3. Winning photographs must be fit in the calendar’s dimensions to be included in the calendar.
4. The photos that receive the top five votes over all categories will go to a panel of judges to select the cover image.
5. Winners from each category will be announced September 21 on the Potawatomi Zoo’s Facebook page.
6. The winning photos of each category will be featured in the Zoo’s 2022 calendar.
7. In case of a tie vote, the category winner will be chosen by the panel of judges.
1. The 12 winners from each category will receive two copies of the 2022 calendar.
2. The photo selected for the cover by the panel of judges will be considered the Grand Prize Winner. The Grand Prize Winner will receive a one-year membership to the Potawatomi Zoo and a copy of the 2022 calendar.
3. Submitters are not eligible to win the Grand Prize in consecutive years.
Permission to Use Submitted Photos by Potawatomi Zoo and Zoological Society.
By submitting any photos into the contest, you give Potawatomi Zoo and Potawatomi Zoological Society permission to use them now and in the future for purposes of publication, including but not limited to marketing and promotional materials, educational materials, printed materials, television broadcasts, web sites, internal communications and signage. You will not be compensated for such use outside of prizes awarded as described above at the discretion of the Potawatomi Zoo. However, where reasonable, we will give you credit for the photos. By entering the contest, you agree to all of the above. As a non-profit entity, the Potawatomi Zoological Society relies heavily on donations from the community, including in-kind services and goods. This photo contest is an example of that – we are seeking donated photos of our animals to help promote the Zoo.
We truly appreciate all submissions for our contest, and we hope it will serve as a fun and exciting way to showcase the Potawatomi Zoo and promote civic pride in this unique community amenity.