Job Title: Brew Keeper
Department: Food Service
FLSA Status: Seasonal
Starting Wage: $11.00/hour + tips
Hours: Vary. Must be able to work any of the seven days of the week, holidays and evenings
Under the supervision of the Food Service and Retail Manager, participates in the daily operation of the zoo’s adult beverage and food service departments. Does related work as assigned.
- Taking beverage orders from customers or wait staff and serving drinks as requested, paying extreme attention to detail
- Checking identification to verify legal age requirement for ALL customers
- Verifying accurate cash counts and handling daily sales records and sales receipts
- Knowledge of operating cash registers, credit card machines and accurate cash handling
- Satisfying patron requests in a timely manner
- Assessing customer preferences and making drink recommendations
- Keeping a well-stocked bar with adequate supply of beer, wine, mixers, ice napkins, glassware and other accessories
- Cleaning the bar, tables, chairs and work area to maintain a sanitary environment
- Organizing the bar area to streamline drink preparation and inventory
- Preparing and serving appetizers, snacks or other food items for customers at the bar
- Complying with all food and beverage regulations
- Communicate with supervisor/management on items in need of ordering
- Excellent customer service skills
- Performs additional responsibilities as requested
Training or experience with bartending and knowledge of the products we offer a plus (beer, wine, food, etc.), strong communication skills, positive attitude, personal demeanor, multitasking, attention to detail, organization, ability to stand for long periods, ability to lift up to 30 pounds, strong observational skills, conflict resolution and money handling. Ability to read, write and make mathematical calculations. Must be personable, self-motivated, independent and responsible. Good communications skills. Ability to read and write legibly. Ability to work flexible hours as needed up to 39 per week.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Indiana Driver’s License or State issued picture ID. Bartenders/Servers license and/or food service certification a plus.
Basic knowledge of cash registers, credit card machines and calculator use. Handheld radios, basic concession equipment including popcorn machines, nacho cheese dispensers and donut ovens
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to stand for long periods of time. Ability to bend, stoop and climb. Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions. Capability of lifting and carrying items up to 30 pounds.
Inside and outside in adverse weather and temperatures
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Good observational skills
- Work well alone or with minimal supervision
- Work varying shifts
- Must be 21 years or older
- Have or ability to obtain an Indiana Bartenders/Servers License
- Criminal Background Check
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Potawatomi Zoo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HOW TO APPLY:
For seasonal positions please mail application to Sharon Smith at 500 South Greenlawn Avenue, South Bend, IN 46615 or email Sharon Smith at email@example.com. Please note position applying for in the email subject line. Applications may be obtained at the zoo office or at our website: www.potawatomizoo.org/about-us/careers